[CQ-Contest] CQWW Assisted - Is it just another Urban Myth ?

Stan Stockton wa5rtg at gmail.com
Mon Jul 31 09:54:45 EDT 2017

Trent,

I apparently didn't do a good job of explaining.

1.  If you are saying that assisted rarely beats unassisted, I completely agree.

So what?
Who cares?
What does it matter?

Are you saying the assistance does not case higher scores?  If so, you are wrong.  If you are saying the majority of top operators don't want to compete with Internet assistance, you are right.

2.  I think if someone wants to operate without the internet telling them where all the multipliers are located on the bands AND be able to compete with others who are of like mind, they should be allowed to do so.  If you say they "can" compete based on the past results of the assisted class not being able to win over the unassisted single operators, then you need to look no further than the few instances of when the single assisted operators did beat the single unassisted operators.  You will likely find world class operators who experimented with the assisted class.

3.  Not in all cases,  but in the vast majority of the results you will find that the best operators do not choose the assisted category.  I can assure with 100% certainty that if the categories were combined there would NEVER be a winner who did not use the Internet.

4.  Is there a good reason why you want to combine the categories?  Is it to create a situation where many people are unhappy because they are forced to use the Internet to continue to compete at the top level?  Is it so if someone wants to activate a multiplier, let's say from the beach, that has no internet access they are disadvantaged?

I could make as good an argument for combining the categories and eliminating the use of the Internet for everyone during a contest as you can make for combining and allowing the Internet.  It is a radio contest, you know.  It's not a computer game of shooting fish in a barrel.

However, I'm not going to do that because there are many who enjoy using it and can compete with others who also like it and I see no reason for taking away their fun.  Why not allow the original and historically most popular category's operators the same enjoyment?

73... Stan