[CQ-Contest] R: Ea8's banned from RBN? Hmmm

Mike Smith VE9AA ve9aa at nbnet.nb.ca
Wed Mar 1 17:22:56 EST 2017

I have misunderstood this thread from the beginning.  Maybe I still do.

Am I naïve, or perhaps I am just cynical? (or I am “that guy” that will mention the white elephant in the room)

Why should anyone care what spots get sent to DX Summit? Why? Why?

I’ll admit, I only go assisted in a small minority of contests and when I do, I never use Dx Summit.

Why would anyone do that?  It’s so inneficient however you can presumably hide that you are assisted.

I connect to VE7CC. (or maybe K1TTT or someone else that receives RBN spots)…..yes, there are oodles of EA8 and everyone else there in the RBN feeds from CC.

As far as I know Lee/CC sends all spots, (RBN included) and his cluster is a fantastic tool and a benefit to all.

The only reason my little mind can come up with for anyone being upset (as in EA8RM’s case) about certain spots from the RBN not being forwarded to the DX Summit, is

because ASSISTED ops, not claiming assisted, use this resource.  (ie: They are sitting on a web page, presumably not logged in with their callsign and can hide from CQ, ARRL and other sponsors etc)

I use N1MM+ Logger, but understand other loggers are very similar in their function showing you mults, double mults, what band they are on etc.

I can only fathom (right or wrong) the reason anyone in their right mind would wish to watch thousands of dizzying spots streaming by is to hide the fact you are cheating by acting that you are not “assisted”, otherwise why would you do it?

Maybe I am way out in the left field, but MAYBE there is a white elephant in the room.

I am not accusing Juan of anything, other than he wishes more EA8 spots are sent to Dx summit, so ‘cheaters’ hide behind an IP address.

This is the strangest thing I have read on CQ-CONTEST in quite some time.

Mike VE9AA

Juan,

With all my respect, to accuse W3LPL in unfair filtering of RBN spots is the same as accusing some manual spotter (me for example) that he is spotting EA9 but do not spot EA8. I spot I what I consider to be useful for my friends DXers, what I think would be interesting to them. If I did it automatically rather then manually, I would do the same as Frank in order not to pollute DX cluster.

Regarding the influence of manual spots, let us wait what Pete N4ZR will find out. All the contesters that I know are sure using RBN and/or clusters that have RBN feed along with manual spots.

73, Igor UA9CDC