[CQ-Contest] Are you a Clueless Cluster Clicker?

Mike Tessmer mtessmer at cinci.rr.com
Tue Mar 7 14:37:15 EST 2017

I've read a number contest reports from the recent ARRL DX contests where DX
ops share their annoyance with the large number of dupes - all the result of
erroneous cluster spots.  I've experienced the same in previous DX
operations.

This past weekend I listened to an exasperated S54ZZ on 80m tell caller
after caller "We've worked before, we've worked before" all because he was
erroneously spotted as S51ZZ.  He'd give his call....and the guys just kept
calling.  And when he'd tell them they had already worked they'd just say
"59 <state>".  VE3DZ/6Y2T (BY2T) and the P40R (PV0R) ops both noted over 500
dupes in the CW contest - all because of erroneous cluster spots.  The
erroneous spots are bad enough, but what is worse (pathetic, really) is the
large number of the regular, high scoring multi-op stations and
assisted/unlimited stations that feed these piles - guys who have been
around for a long time, and presumably might have a clue.  Plenty of other
"calls" made the highlight reel this past weekend:  JX5J (ZX5J), TT3Z
(TO3Z), FK0N (5K0N), FJ2T (PJ2T)

The question is why?  Why do you just blindly pounce on any spot without
considering whether or not it's likely that is really the call on frequency?
Are you just too lazy to process that it's unlikely that there would be a
station QRV in JX, in the middle of winter, with a commanding signal on 15m
beaming southeast?  Are you just too lazy to question a loud, clear BY on
40m, beaming south, when it's high noon in Beijing?  Are you just too lazy
to question the likelihood of a really loud TT3 station, again beaming
south/southeast...you know, because there's such a plethora of activity from
TT that they now issue special prefixes for the ARRL DX contest?

Are you a Clueless Cluster Clicker?

The floor is yours.  Justify your actions!

(Please spare us the lectures on how/why occasional dupes may occur.  That
is NOT AT ALL what is happening here.)

73, Mike K9NW