[CQ-Contest] CX2DK DQ

Jim Brown k9yc at audiosystemsgroup.com
Wed Mar 8 12:43:17 EST 2017

On Tue,3/7/2017 8:47 PM, Kelly Taylor wrote:
> Those rules, and any rules, only apply to people actually entering the contest. Those who merely play radio during a contest with no intention of filing a contest entry may use whatever technology is permitted by their licence classes.

When you participate in a contest by working other contesters, you have
entered the contest. You are competing for contacts, and use of spots
and high power give you an advantage over other callers. When you win
the QSO after a call, you have disadvantaged another operator. Likewise,
when you splatter or have a wide CW signal, you disadvantage other
operators. One of the pleasures of NAQP is that it is a 100W contest
with no spotting for single ops. Another pleasure is that it's a team
competition for single ops.

> What signals ‘sound like’ can certainly be deceiving. Many times I have been running compromise antennas at less than 100w and been told I’m the loudest guy on the band, but that’s simply the perfect alignment of skip zones and takeoff angles. I often had trouble being heard by other operators in the same general area.

Yes, but when signals are from the same general area and one is a lot
louder, you know. :)

73, Jim K9YC