[CQ-Contest] Ah, youth!

donovanf at starpower.net donovanf at starpower.net
Wed Mar 8 23:57:52 EST 2017

Hi Art,

I often think about my contest and DXing Elmers and how much of
my life experience I owe to their kindness and generosity.

I was introduced to ham radio through AM short wave listening on
my S-38D receiver and quickly discovered local hams working the
world on 10 meter AM during the peak of Solar Cycle 19. As an
eleven and twelve year old I soon met local DXers including:

W1AWE (he always sent his call as W1AW E) who started serious
CW DXing in the mid-1920s,

W1HJB, a very serious 10 meter AM DXer who used a 3 element
10 meter Yagi on the roof of his three story home, turned manually
by an automobile steering on the wall of his shack. He used
pre-1950s equipment that was fine tuned for excellent operation
on 10 meters.

W1ZBZ a 10 and 15 meter AM DXer who had two (!) home made
70 foot rotating towers, a 75A-3 and a Globe King 500. I always
dreamed of someday building at least two rotating towers...

W1WKO, another serious AM DXer not far from my home.

W1BCR, an AM DXer who specialized in working only VKs on
20 meters every morning with his Collins S-Line and V-beam over
salt water, sloping from the top of a tall waterfront bluff to a pair
of tall wooden poles many hundreds of feet out into a salt water bay.

As a twelve year-old I was introduced to the Providence Radio
Association W1OP one of the oldest continuously active amateur
radio clubs in the U.S. I attended the full 24 hours of their
1959 Field Day just before I was licensed as a Novice. Two of
my strongest memories are the new KWM-1 transceiver and
2 element quad used by the SSB operators and the Viking II,
NC-300 and Lazy-H used by the CW operators. I was hooked!

Soon after I met W1BIL (later W1DK) an honor roll CW DXer
who got me my first job as a 17 year old at WJAR-TV. Gene
used a 75A-3 and home made single-813 kilowatt amplifier.

Then I met W1YRC, another serious DXer, who got me my first
engineering job at Raytheon Submarine Signal after college.

My first assignment afterAir Force Officer Training School found
me working directly for PVRC member W3GN. My multi-multi
mentor W4BVV's office was one floor directly below mine.
Some of Tom's AB-105 towers l ive-on at W3LPL, sadly he died
just before they were installed.

My story doesn't end there, my life has been deeply enriched by
countless friendships with contesters and DXers over nearly
sixty years.

73
Frank
W3LPL