[CQ-Contest] CX2DK DQ

Kelly Taylor ve4xt at mymts.net
Thu Mar 9 15:22:27 EST 2017

You might be participating in the contest by working folks in the contest, but you’re still only bound by the rules if you enter. The existence of any contest does not bind the entire amateur radio universe to the rules of that contest. (Unless I missed a particular session of the ITU…)

When it’s Sunday afternoon in SS and QSO intervals are measured in tens of minutes, if someone calls me, I’m going to work him. I’m not going to ask if he’s ‘in the contest.’ Nothing prevents me from talking the guy through the exchange. If his idea of low power is a barefoot FT-2000D, I’m not going to get into a discussion about what radio he’s using. That he might be 50w over the limit for A is only a concern if he tries to enter as an A.

If you’re a DXCCer with an Alpha capable of legal limit, but the DX contest specifies maximum 1kw, are you required to cut back power to 1kw to work that rare one running Qs on 14.193? No.

The vision of Charlton Heston holding the control panel for an ACOM-2000 over his head (“from my cold, dead hands”) comes to mind.

If you’re in NAQP and some rare one wants to call you for WAS but needs a kilowatt to do it, are you required to tell him to only use 100w? No. (Also, would you necessarily know?)

When a Sprint and a state QSO party overlap, a station working only the QSO party is likely to also work guys in the Sprint, but that doesn’t bind him to the QSY rule. Nor does it mean Sprint guys can’t work him (and also give him a QP contact at the same time).

Do the rules for WRTC mean for that year, members of the entire IARU Radiosport community are each bound to a single tribander and wires only? I mean, you’re participating in WRTC if you work WRTC stations, yes?

Contesting has a bad enough reputation in the wider amateur community as it is. Telling them they can only work any of us if they pay slavish attention to rules they don’t need to care about isn’t going to help.

73, kelly, ve4xt