[CQ-Contest] what is required of received audio, and why

Ria Jairam rjairam at gmail.com
Fri Mar 10 11:15:15 EST 2017

At this point why even separate single or multi op, even multi single can
have two stations? After all people cheat with additional operators in
single op categories (contest committee some years ago DQed one or two for
exactly that.)

This way everyone is on a level playing field, because that is what
competition is about...

/sarcasm

I'm thoroughly opposed to assisted and non assisted being merged. I compete
in either category for various reasons, chief among them being that
unassisted favors running and I like to run.

I also don't see a waterfall as being "assistance." I thought skimmer was
bad enough classified as assisted (because it's your own radio) but since
it provided a "cluster like" experience, it sort of made sense but a
waterfall tells you nothing other than a signal exists there, and honestly
- on a contest weekend with wall to wall signals - is that going to tell
you anything that's not fairly obvious?

Then again I always got the sense that there was a movement to destroy the
unassisted category for whatever reason. I guess the end will justify the
means. And no, I don't buy into the "people cheat so we need to fix it so
they don't" because you stop one way of cheating another one opens up.

I hesitate to say this as I've always been a critic of this sort of
thinking but we really need to lighten up a bit, "it's just a hobby."

Ria
N2RJ