[CQ-Contest] Contest Rules Standards

Trent Sampson vk4ts at outlook.com
Thu Mar 16 18:00:50 EDT 2017

Do we as contesters need to promote a set of rules for all HF Contests ?

Definitions of what we expect for a Single OP a multi Op and ask that of all contest managers ?

The problem with that is the old "variety is the spice of life" what makes different contests interesting is the quirks of the rules.

Interleaved QSOs I have no problem with on two bands - but I do have problems on the same band - this has the potential to create a real mess - why stop at two transmitted signals?

CQ has treated the issue with the following rule

  1.  Only one signal on a band is allowed at any time. When two or more transmitters are present on the same band, a hardware device MUST be used to prevent more than one signal at any one time. Alternating CQs on two or more frequencies on a band is not permitted.
While this is admirable it does not prohibit two run frequencies if a station wants to argue they did not call CQ on the second TX eg CALLSIGN CALLSIGN QRZ

There are lots of anomalies that this group has problems with - remember  that for every rule change there is a cause and effect - Sometimes rule changes are not for the better.

Lots to ponder

hope to hear as many as possible on for the CQWPX from VK4KW

73

Trent
VK4TS
Po Box 275 Mooloolaba QLD 4557