[CQ-Contest] Time to QSY?

Richard Riley Richard.Riley at tango.hr
Fri Mar 17 12:11:52 EDT 2017

Before you do QSY :)..it's Friday afternoon and I've found 5 minutes to spam you with my 2 cents:

Why not allow interleaved CQs on the same band, but impose stricter rules for signal cleanliness?
Dirty signals (quite typical in this part of the world) take up far more room than 2 clean ones.  I had to rethink my new station location because of that very problem.  My potential future neighbours were occupying half of 160m :( at 10km.

and to respond to a previous thread: self-spotting in phone contests / SSB RBN.

I am lacking somewhat techy-wise here....but surely we can use some of our current SSB bandwidth to throw in a "CQ callsign" in sub-tone/JT65 or alike, to be sent by our voice-keyers?  ..after all it's a "Phone" contest...and "the phone channel" is 300-3400hz or thereabouts... but do we really need all of this for an intelligible voice communication?  Many of us listen with 1.8Khz filters on.

We moved from AM to SSB previously, saving a whole side-band..so perhaps it's time to progress once more.  Our repeaters exploit "mixed modes" in transmit (FM carrier & CW audible tone for ID) and of course many use sub-tones in receive (67-250hz) to be opened.  Is there enough bandwidth in a SSB signal to carry CW audio sent too and to be recognised by the RBNs?  The RBN people can programme their boxes to only spot these if the frequency is same for x calls over y minutes and our self-spotting problem is solved, no?  For the purists, if CW-audio sent IDs sitting inside an SSB signal are a problem, we just need a SIRI-style sub-tone voice generator software plug-in and it's 100% phone...

and one more thread whilst we're here in the QRM...  I believe log submission should be real-time or as close to it.  If we can do JT65 or WSPR (or whatever) we can have designated receivers picking up scores from anywhere.  WRTC 2014 did it by 3/4G but where no signal present used one SMS/hourly.  How much investment is a WSPR 5 watt box on 30m to send your score each hour for those who don't have the net?

73 9a1tt

Richard Riley