[CQ-Contest] OT - Using a computer power supply as a bench supply

Pete Smith N4ZR n4zr at comcast.net
Tue Mar 21 10:45:25 EDT 2017

I'm sorry for the off-topic question, but can't find a good reflector
for this one, and I figured this diverse group was most likely to have
answers.  Please feel free to reply off-list.

10-plus years ago, I built what was to be a bench supply using an old AT
power supply - 5 and 12 volts. It didn't put out any voltage, so I
shelved it - figuring a bum supply.  Then just a relatively few years
ago, I read that these supplies required some load on the 5V supply in
order to put out any power on either output.  I can't find the reference
now, and am hoping some of the knowledgeable here will have some info on
this.

Thanks for your patience

--

73, Pete N4ZR