[CQ-Contest] Fieldstrength values from SDR recordings

Christian Schneider prickler.schneider at t-online.de
Tue Mar 21 19:06:33 EDT 2017

Hi,
an update of software HDSDR now allows to extract fieldstrength values
from SDR recordings (several per second). I played a bit with CW and SSB
signals from our TopTen stations in 2016
http://www.darc.de/der-club/referate/dx/contest/wag/en/newsarchives/field-strength/
It contains values for 80m from three different periods.

Advantages: They eliminate the unknown variable N from the S/N figures
of RBN and can be extracted from any transmitted signal, be it a CQ, a
short call in S&P mode and also from SSB signals.

Disadvantage: Other than RBN they require "some" manual work... And as
promising they look for several reasons there is the usual disclaimer:
They stem from propagated signals from different areas and are generated
by antennas of different qualities, so they do not allow too hasty
conclusions about output power. And there are still a lot of millisecond
settings in the software to experiment with.

So this is only a very first impression what could be done. At least
another item for analyzes in the toolbox, maybe once for adjucation
purposes, too?

73, Chris DL8MBS
(WAG Contestmanager)