[CQ-Contest] Jim Rodenkirch, K9JWV (SK)

Dale Putnam daleputnam at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 31 13:19:21 EDT 2017

I knew Jim was ill, he fought for as long as he could, and stayed on frequency til the bitter end, like the dedicated QRP op he was. Jim went SK during the night Tuesday, he will be sorely missed in the antenna discussions, the qrp efforts, and many contests, and many many other ways too.

  The following is from his QRZ.com page. Jack (WA7LNW) and Jim were rover ops in the 7QP and had a blast. The photo is from the last year's outing.

   At least he doesn't have to deal with QRN and QSB now.. and the Prop Princess is smiling at him all the time, now.  May the props be ever in your favor, Jim.

Have a great day,
--... ...-- Dale - WC7S in Wy

"Actions speak louder than words"
1856 - Abraham Lincoln

Licensed since 1958, first off as a Novice and then Conditional; that sure seems like a long time ago! I let my license expire some years back during a 21 year stint in the U.S. Navy (I am an "in country" Vietnam Vet with lots of Agent Oange related problems but still on the green side of the grass; I was in Nha Trang, on river boats in 1967). I re-took the exams about 30 years ago and thoroughly enjoy being back in to Ham Radio.

Currently, enjoying QRP/QRPp CW contesting and general operating, primarily on the low bands - 160, 80 and 40. My rigs, in order of operating time, are a W8DIZ-designed 160 meter or 20 meter 1 Watt xcvr(s) and a KX3; my keys are a K8RA paddle or Schurr conventional straight key. My home QTH antenna is my home brew inverted "U" system - 30' vertical, 51' west to another 30' vertical, 22 elevated 50' radials and an LDG Z11ProII auto tuner at the base.

I am engaged, currently, in "personal bests" that reflect the use of an efficient wire antenna and a rudimentary understanding of propagation patterns. I enjoy the challenges associated with operating CW and QRPp power levels on the lower bands especially, e.g.., 160, 80, 40 and 30 meters. For instance, I have 24 DXCC with QRP power on 160 meters (added T32CO on 3/13/2016) and WAS QRPp on 160 and 80.

For CW QRPp operation(s):

- I started using my W8DIZ 160 meter 1 watt transceiver the evening of 5 November, 2015. I have three DXCC so far - the U.S., VE(7), XE - and eighteen states on 160 meters - AZ, CA, CO, DE, HI, ID, ME, MI, MT, NM, NV, OR, PA, SD, UT, WA, WI and WY --------- it is a hoot to work anyone on 160 with 1 watt!!!!

- Employing a W8DIZ 20 meter 1 Watter, I have 35 states with QRPp power - AR, AZ, CA, CO, CT, FL, GA, HI, ID, IL, IN, KS, LA, MA, MD, MI, MN, MO, MS, NC, ND, NE, NH, NM, NV, NY, OH, OK,OR, PA, SD, TX, VA, WA and WI.

- As resources free up I will purchase other W8DIZ 1 Watter kits and expand my QRPp operations.

Note: I utilize the ARRL QSL bureau for DX cards. Other QSLs can be sent direct or via LoTW.

Hope to work you "on the air" for a rag chew QSO or in one of the contests, e.g., Stew Perry, 7th Area QSO Party, CQ 160, ARRL 160, NAQCC monthly sprints, etc., where QRP/QRPp entries are encouraged and scored! 71.5/72 de Jim Rodenkirch, K9JWV