[CQ-Contest] What is Multi to you?

W0MU Mike Fatchett w0mu at w0mu.com
Wed May 10 12:56:33 EDT 2017

Why can't contesting be both.  A place for friends and novices to get
together and have a good time and have a chance to do well and feel like
you have a chance to win.  How many people really have a chance to
really win?  Very few.  It used to be you could go down to the Caribbean
with a FD style setup and win.  That is very very difficult now with the
Multi stations with 8 rigs, multiple 100 ft towers etc.  I applaud their
dedication, time and money to build great stations but there is little
competition.

If golf if you participate in a tournament (contest) you are allowed to
get a handicap which while certainly not perfect is an attempt to level
the playing field so that you can feel like you have a shot.  There are
always going to be talented people that most likely can win but in golf
anything is possible as everyone plays the exact same course on the same
day.  In contesting we have a bunch of golf tournaments going on all on
separate courses and then we crown a winner when none of the courses are
the same.

The goal here is to attract new people. I applaud those that continue to
work on personal goals.  You cannot sell that to new folks and to the
younger generations.

W0MU