[CQ-Contest] What is Multi to you?

Jack Haverty k3fiv at arrl.net
Tue May 16 20:37:25 EDT 2017

Wow... I was a novice 50+ years ago as KN3FIV, and I do remember Novice
Roundups.  Lots of fun!  It was perhaps the only contest where I ever
thought I was actually competing with others just like me, with my 75
watts and dipole.

Today Novices and Rookies are in short supply, since their lifetime is
only a year or so.  But we still have lots of stations, many who haven't
seen how to have fun in contests with their Novice-style stations.  We
even have a name for them - Little Pistols.

How about a new kind of Little Pistol Roundup?  Anyone can participate.
There are only two categories: (1) Little Pistol: 100W or less and
single-element wire or vertical antennas below 50 feet (including
"stealth" HOA-style in attics)  and (2) Everyone Else.   Use whatever
technologies you like to deal with the weak signal world.

Everyone else only gets points for working Little Pistols.  Little
Pistols get points for working anyone.

The Big Guns might have fun and enjoy the challenge showing their skills
at digging out weak signals and finding stations too weak to be caught
by Skimmers.  Sitting on a frequency and running for hours might not be
the winning strategy.

The Little Pistols might have fun competing with each other and being
sought out by the Big Guns.  Some of them may even decide contesting can
be fun even with a less-than-stellar "contest station".

73,
/Jack de K3FIV