[CQ-Contest] Be careful what you wish for

Jeff Clarke ku8e at ku8e.com
Mon Nov 6 11:36:10 EST 2017

I love CW contests with a passion but I might consider not doing CW SS
FT anymore.  I took just about all my off time in one stretch starting
at 0800 Z so I could get a decent nights sleep because I dreading
operating (BORING) on Sunday. The only thing that kept me going was that
I needed about 5 multipliers for a sweep. Watching football when
operating also helped me get thru it ! If it wasn't for those things I
might have quit early.

Maybe it's the right time to think about a rules change because it
isn't  going to get better anytime soon. The declining sunspots will
make participation decrease even more than it has.  I'm still fairly
young in my 50's and I'm afraid in 10 years there won't be anyone to
work in a CW contests.  Lots of checks in the 1950's and 1960's. Not as
many in the 1970's when I was licensed. Very few above the 1990's and
2000 +.

  I know it's been discussed before but maybe it's time to allow a QSO
with the same station on multiple bands. It would at least make SS more
fun. Before anyone argues this wouldn't be fair consider pretty much the
same people win every year because they have a good station/antennas and
are SO2R experts. Plus most have a geographical advantage as well. I
will admit I have it a lot better in Georgia then I did in Ohio. But not
as good as those on the west coast. How else could I make almost make
400 QSO's on 20 meters using a dipole at 40 feet? Plus when 40 meters
goes long it's good for me too because the guys north of me can't work
each other. That gives me somewhat of a captive audience. On the other
hand 80 meters isn't as good for me as it was in Ohio. Always get beat
out when a station further away is called by someone closer to them. So
no matter the advantage you might enjoy it might be offset by someone
else's on another band.

I also wish they would make SO2R a separate category because it gives
someone an advantage similar to SOA.

Jeff KU8E