[CQ-Contest] So Sunday Sucked?

Ward Silver hwardsil at gmail.com
Wed Nov 8 12:20:32 EST 2017

 > ...the issue is getting more stations on the air and participating in
Sweepstakes

W3WN has the real issue identified.  Sweepstakes *is* hard and, frankly,
that's the point.  Just like Sprint is hard in its own way.

I would like to remind the creative minds here that it is perfectly
acceptable to create third-party challenges, overlays, and team events
that coincide with Sweepstakes and which could easily attract additional
operators.  A CWAC (Contest Within A Contest) requires no rule changes
and no asterisks.  Get a group together and sponsor one - Rookie
Challenge, Halftime Rally, Kickoff Klub, Fresh Meat Market, etc - that
would encourage people to get on Sunday.  Public service leaders - have
a Radio Fitness Workout with your team on Sunday.  Club leaders - report
on and offer membership awards for Sunday achievements.  Sunday is a
perfect time for new hams (or hams new to contesting) to get on when the
pace is less intense.

Let's find ways to invite and encourage ops to give Sweepstakes a try.
When they do, follow up with "If you had a good time, here are some more
opportunities you'll like..."  Not only will we have a few more QSOs in
our logs, we'll maybe have a few more regular participants and that's
the big win, in my opinion.

73, Ward N0AX