[CQ-Contest] Check In SS

Radio KØHB kzerohb at gmail.com
Thu Nov 9 12:51:23 EST 2017

No, Ron, that isn’t the point.

The point is to send a 2-digit number which stands in for the 2-digit “CK” in the standard ARRL message header.

That check (in real life) is a variable number from message-to-message (depending on the group count).

Since it is variable “message-to-message” (not predictable from a cheat sheet) in real life, it makes no sense for it to be a fixed value in contesting.

I’d prefer it be a random number, variable contact-to-contact, but it isn’t.  So, with the stated permission of the contest sponsor, be on notice that my SS “CK” is not guaranteed stable year-to-year.  Log what I send, not what a crutch auto-filled for you.  I provide “fills” for free.

I find it odd that there is so much resistance, given that it has zero effect on my score, and no effect on the score of any other participant who accurately copies the exchange off the air.

73, de Hans, KØHB
"Just a boy and his radio"™