[CQ-Contest] SS, SS and again SS....

Trent Sampson vk4ts at outlook.com
Thu Nov 9 17:08:40 EST 2017

Hi Mats

Any discussion of rules and options will give differing opinions and it is obvious our USA VE based comrades are passionate about this one -

>From a VK Contesting perspective we have 6 VHF UHF contests per year that all have the same rules - because a lobby of distance based scorers wanted the change - this was despite the fact that two of the least supported VHF UHF Contests already had a distance based category. Changes to rules even minor have major impacts on contests.

I have trouble with contests that are biased to advantage different time zones - eg a RTTY contest that doesn't run a straight 24 hours or Single op in the WPX where the 36 hour rule actually disadvantaged more remote stations have trouble maintaining high run rates but when the rule was 30 hours Oceania and South East Asia could finish up the ladder world wide- simply adding 6 hours to the contest meant an end to that.

Onwards and upwards - personally the worst thing I think you could do to a contest with so much history is make it the same as all the others - the challenge of a clean sweep would keep me interested - but there are others who want high rates for the entire time - perhaps 24 hour is the best solution.. I am sure they will all work it out.

Regards

Trent VK4TS