[CQ-Contest] CQ-Contest Digest, Vol 179, Issue 36

Eric Gruff egruff at cox.net
Sun Nov 12 02:29:12 EST 2017

Tom,

Many thanks for taking the time to write.

I agree – I have shown my kids and their friends how much fun “playing radio” is for me. They are actually very impressed with my tower and giant SteppIR, as well as the station. The FlexRadio and Maestro are definitely eye candy for them. They actually think it’s above their capabilities to get licensed and use a station, and I have to laugh (to myself only) because most kids are more adept with computers and electronics than most folks in our generation will ever be. It’s just different, and not something they are normally exposed to, so your points are excellent.

I still think that some sort of showcase mode, likely a high-resolution video mode, would be fantastic to have at public demonstrations of ham radio. Even though it wouldn’t be a core competency type of activity for ham radio, it would serve to get the attention of non-hams, and as I said in my original post, we can then share other aspects like contesting, EmComm, etc.

It would be fun to form a task force to do this, and if we could get a K1JT-type to develop and champion the new ‘demo’ mode like Joe has done with the JT modes and FT8, we could roll it out at JOTA, School Station demos, Field Day and other upcoming public events. I know that the ISS sends pictures/video to some school classrooms, so perhaps that could be a jumping-off point.

73,

Eric NC6K