[CQ-Contest] Interesting Youth In Ham Radio (was Digest)

Ria Jairam rjairam at gmail.com
Tue Nov 14 22:04:29 EST 2017

I never said that I did either. However some hams who didn’t pass a code
test (I did 5 and 13wpm) or who aren’t all that technical tend to get the
short end of the stick sometimes. But never me. I think people get more
upset at non ham things.

In contesting I largely stopped taking advice from some people who give bad
advice and instead I’m more selective of who I take advice from. I do
listen intently to when K3LR gives a presentation for example. His tip
about using WSPR to see when the band opens and closes helped me determine
what I hear and don’t hear ( I monitor RBN and FT8 and often just leave the
radio and computer collecting data on several bands). Or listening to Bob,
KQ2M about being welded to your chair and not giving up even when the band
seems closed. These people are high caliber operators and know their stuff.
Similarly we can pass the torch to the next generation.

73
Ria, N2RJ