[CQ-Contest] Interesting Youth In Ham Radio

Ed Sawyer sawyered at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 15 05:31:23 EST 2017

Hey guys.  Since this is a Contest Reflector, can we stay on topic?  Getting
youth interested in High Altitude Ballooning or using their 2M rig while
offroading is not contributing to the contesting community.  And with a
couple of million licensed ham operators around the globe and probably less
than 25 - 30,000 showing up in HF Contest or DXpedition logs, there's really
very little correlation between those macro numbers and HF Contesting.

The issue for our contesting world is not macro, its niche.  The ham
community could cut by 75% in the next 2 decades but the remaining crowd
having more interest in the competitive aspect is WAY more meaningful to
contesting than the opposite.

73

Ed  N1UR