[CQ-Contest] CW slow? No problem

Adam Mercier adam at kenbrio.com
Thu Nov 30 10:01:50 EST 2017

Does high-speed CW have a place in contesting?  Absolutely!  I don’t think anyone would argue that.  However, I think you’d agree that CQing with no answers (which happens to even the mega-stations later in the contest) is, in fact, unproductive points-wise.  I’m not suggesting that you’re “doing it wrong” or even that you need a major strategy adjustment.  My  position is simply that it’s mutually beneficial to QRS and complete the QSO with the slower stations when your rate is low.  How much time does that take?  If you log a QSO when you otherwise wouldn’t, does it matter?  A fact I CAN claim is that there are several fast stations who do not have my call in their logs because they wouldn’t QRS.  At the elite level they are working at, when the scores are tallied and competitors are close, those single missed Qs make a difference.  Maybe my Q is only worth one or two points on its face, but with the loads of multipliers already in the log for the 20M+ scores, it may actually be worth more to your score.

From a philosophical standpoint, your assertion that us slower ops essentially need to keep up or get out of the way is interesting...If there is no place in CW contests for us average Joes, eventually it might just be the powerhouses that all work each other in the first few hours of the contest and you’ll have a perpetual tie.  Where’s the fun in that?

Just my observation...

Adam, KM7N

Sent from my iPhone