[CQ-Contest] port expanders

Dick Frey k4xu at bendcable.com
Thu Nov 30 18:42:16 EST 2017

I am helping an old-timer operate his very simple contest station from a
laptop with three USB ports, two of which are mechanically intermittent.
Because his antenna is close by, if the shield of the USB cable is
intermittent, he has FRI trouble. He needs three USB connections:
wireless mouse, Signalink, and his K3 (via an FTDI USB to RS232 cable).
Since this is an Apple notebook (running Win10), getting deep enough
into it to repair the USB connectors is problematic.

I am attempting to use the remaining reliable USB port though a 1:4 USB
"port expander" to the mouse, Signalink and K3, but it only works for
the mouse. The Device Manager does not see the other two devices.

What kind of a USB port expander is required? I need a description or
model. Cost is not really an issue here though he'd rather not replace
the laptop.

--
Dick Frey, K4XU