[CQ-Contest] Greene Co (OH) isn't very green

Jeff Clarke ku8e at ku8e.com
Thu Oct 5 13:47:46 EDT 2017

Barry,

Maybe consider flying to either Columbus, Ohio (CMH) or Cincinnati
(CVG). Both are about a 1 hour and 20 minute drive from the Crowne
Plaza.  I flew into CMH last year and my RT fare on Southwest from
Atlanta was under $200. It was about $20 per day for a rental car at
those airports.

I kind of keep track of the fares since I have family that lives between
Cincinnati and Dayton and occasionally fly up to Ohio. The fares to
Dayton have gone up quite a bit since Southwest pulled out.  When
Airtran was still around (before Southwest bought them) I used to be
able to fly to Dayton for about $150 RT and sometimes either lower. Now
that they are gone my only non-stop choice from Atlanta to Dayton is
Delta and the fare is almost double what it used to be.

Cincinnati used to have some of the highest fares in the country but
that's changed quite a bit since a bunch of low cost carriers now fly to
CVG - Allegient, Frontier and Southwest. Both Frontier and Allegient
have hubs in CVG so there are lots of non-stop destinations. Southwest
just started flying their this Summer and will probably grow because
it's been a huge success in the Cincinnati market. Delta still has a big
presence at CVG and those discount airlines are keeping their fares down
too. The fares to Columbus are good too because it has many of the same
low cost carriers as Cincinnati.

BTW for those of you in EU that might be considering coming to the
Hamvention next year a new low cost European airline named WoW will
begin flying to Cincinnati on May 10th, 2018. It's non-stop to Keflavik
International Airport (KEF) in Iceland with connections throughout Europe.

Jeff KU8E