[CQ-Contest] Noise Blanker recommendations

Jim Brown k9yc at audiosystemsgroup.com
Mon Oct 23 12:52:20 EDT 2017

On 10/23/2017 2:47 AM, WW3S wrote:

>> Doesn't mean anything, if that house still has power, it could be a
>> motion sensor light or dusk to dawn type.....

Right. Any sort of device with a switching power supply will create
noise, AND most noise blankers are likely to be ineffective, because
it's not impulse noise.

This search for a better noise blanker may be misguided. The solution to
most noise issues is to kill it at the source.

FWIW -- the best noise reduction I have ever heard (and it is amazingly
good) is in NR0V's control software for ANAN radios. Warren is the
inventor/developer of the Pure Signal algorithm. I visited his QTH (only
a few miles from mine) a year or two ago and he demonstrated it to me.
Warren's software might work on your noise.

73, Jim K9YC