[CQ-Contest] 4U1WB disqualified in the 2017 CQ World-Wide WPX SSB Contest

Ron Notarius W3WN wn3vaw at verizon.net
Fri Oct 27 09:04:35 EDT 2017

Wait... so let me see if I understand this correctly.

4U1WB was properly and legally licensed by the United Nations, to operate out of a UN agency located at a UN office building located in Washington DC.

Under DXCC rules in place at the time, 4U1WB did not qualify for separate entity status, therefore, it is recognized for DXCC purposes as being located in the United States.

But it is not licensed by the FCC because the US Government recognizes the World Bank building as a UN facility that for diplomatic and related legal purposes is not under the jurisdiction of the US.  In short, for this reason (and all the related details I'm glossing over), it cannot be licensed by the FCC.

With all that in mind... and after all this time...

NOW 4U1WB is disqualified because it does not hold a US license?  A license it cannot hold?

With no disrespect intended, that's absurd.  Ridiculous.  Almost insane.

I thought the whole idea of this level of scrutiny was to catch the people who are "cheating".  Not to DQ a legitimate station that has a bit of an unusual (but legal) status.

I guess this means we'll be seeing DQWPX 2017 buttons soon, to go along with the DQWW 2016 ones that were available at Hamvention & other places?

73, ron W3WN