[CQ-Contest] The Meaning of Disqualification

Mike Ricketts mike.nd9g at gmail.com
Fri Oct 27 14:30:38 EDT 2017

> The meaning of DISQUALIFICATION for the CQ WPX Contest uses the following
> dictionary definition:
> "to put out of a competition etc for breaking rules. She was disqualified
> for
> being too young." Kernerman English Multilingual Dictionary © 2006-2013 K
> Dictionaries Ltd
> Thus, disqualification in itself should not impact ones reputation.
> A recent news story (though not unique), illustrates this point. When
> a high school athlete broke his leg in a cross-country competition, his
> teammate carried him to the finish line. Both were disqualified because
> they broke the rule that runners are prohibited from touching or assisting
> another runner during the race.  The pair's reputations seem to have been
> enhanced by this event:
> http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/10/high-school-runner-carries-t
> eammate-broken-leg
> On the other hand, if the athletes had been disqualified for using
> performance enhancing drugs, then their reputations would have been
> negatively impacted.

You are correct in that a DQ shouldn't automatically damage a person's
reputation. However simply being disqualified does imply the participant
breaking the rules, which tends to default to a negative connotation toward
that participant.

In both examples you list, a reason for disqualification was provided to
the reader, so that they have an informed opinion of the participant(s).
Most logical people would determine that no cheating had occurred, or that
a rule was broken in the effort of sportsmanship. Yet, no explanation of
disqualification is provided within the contest results. Readers are not
given enough information to determine if a participant were guilty of
breaking rules to give them an advantage or simply caught up in some rule
that they seem to be a legitimate exception to. They are listed right next
to participants that may be using unclaimed assistance or log padding.

It is understandable that there is not enough room to list every reason for
a DQ within the results, but to assume someone's reputation as an
upstanding contester won't take a hit for being disqualified, seems to be
viewing the world through rose colored glasses

73,
Mike ND9G