[CQ-Contest] Why was 4U1WB Disqualified in the CQ WPX Contest?

Ron Notarius W3WN wn3vaw at verizon.net
Fri Oct 27 18:48:32 EDT 2017

OK, so let me see if I get this straight...

We have here a legally and properly licensed station, that has been such and
been using their call for decades.  The station is not a pirate, it is not a
special event or commemorative station as such.  And it's not exactly a
unique prefix.

So how does it fall undr V.C.2?

Because it is not licensed by the FCC.  Even though the station has
documentation showing that because the World Bank building, it's location,
is under UN not US jurisdiction, and thus can not and should not hold an FCC
license.

And therein lies the fallacy in your argument.  Even the the World Bank
building is not recognized by the ARRL for DXCC purposes, it IS
internationally recognized as a UN jurisdiction within the United States.

Therefore, IMHO, 4U1WB properly submitted their log.  They are located
within the United States, but their license jursidiction comes from the
United Nations, both of which are properly reflected.

I find the argument that "nobody noticed" before to be a bit fallacious.
Again, this is not an oddball that's shown up, it is a contest station that
has operated in MANY contests over the years.  Whose fault is it that nobody
noticed that the wording of the rule did not properly allow for legitimate
stations like this?

And no matter how one argues the technicalities behind a "disqualification",
throwing a DQ on the 4U1WB team is not only extremely unfair, but damaging
to their reputation.  It reflects badly (whether intended to do so or not)
not just on the station but the operators.

And what of the consequences of a DQ?  Is not the station now excluded from
anything other than a check log for a period of time?  Over not even a
technicality, but an overly and ridiculously strict interpretation of a rule
that was clearly intended to ensure that stations operating under the rules
are properly licensed, which (again) 4U1WB was and is?

Will this rule as it currently stands be applied in the future to 4U1VIC?
Or TP2CE?

No Terry.  IMHO, you have made a huge mistake.  You have improperly implied
a rule due to at best an extremely strict interpretation that has never been
done before, and one that other contests that have the same or similar rules
has never applied before.  In doing so, and because the DQ is in print, you
have damaged the reputation of the station and the operators.  Rather than
continue to justify it, I believe you should own up to the mistake,
apologize, correct the records immediately, and immediately & without delay
follow up on your promise to fix the wording so that this never happens this
way again.

73, ron w3wn