[CQ-Contest] Beacon frequencies and contesting

Ron Notarius W3WN wn3vaw at verizon.net
Mon Sep 25 09:01:50 EDT 2017

Same chorus, different verse.

While I completely agree that frequencies in use (including the beacon frequencies) should ALWAYS be avoided by those active in a contest -- or any other endeavor for that matter -- the reality remains that it's not going to happen.

Some operators simply don't or can't hear the other stations.
Some operators simply don't care about anyone not involved in their pursuit.
Some operators of certain modes, nets, or whatever have staked out their "territory" and simply will not tolerate anyone else using that "territory" for any other purpose at ano other time -- even (and especially) when they are not using it.

I am not unsympathetic to the JT65 & FT8 users, but again, the reality remains that they do not have exclusive rights to any of their preferred frequencies and must share them with others, especially during times of heavy spectrum use (such as contests)

...and I'd wager that most of the inconsiderate clods, er, operators who don't care about non-contest users and plop down wherever they want whenever they want either are not presently reading email from this reflector, or have already sent these messages to the bit bucket without bothering to read the contents anyway.
So in essence, this is preaching to the choir, not the sinners in the congregation.

73, ron W3WN