[CQ-Contest] Assisted

MARK BAILEY kd4d at comcast.net
Fri Aug 17 10:59:27 EDT 2018

Hi Yuri:

I strongly disagree for CW and SSB contesting.  I think digital modes are fundamentally different and do not know enough about them to speak intelligently!

Artificial intelligence and automation are taking over an increasing number of functions that, in the past, were done by operators.  I think we should draw a line between Single Operator and Unlimited/Assisted categories.  One of these functions (and an historic reason for splitting the multi-operator categories into multi-operator and Assisted/Unlimited categories) is finding stations to work and monitoring the bands for openings.  In multi-ops and Assisted categories in CW contests, this function is done primarily by computers now and the results are communicated via the internet.

I think we should maintain single operator categories where some of these functions are still performed by people!  In fact I would propose that the definition for single-operator be something like:

One operator
No information about callsigns/multipliers, frequencies, band openings, or real-time propagation through any means other than the operator decoding signals by ear.

Yes, I realize this would eliminate spectrum displays, local skimmers, CW/SSB decoders, displays of band openings based on RBN data or other operators QSOs, etc., that are currently allowed under the rules of some current contests.  It would also eliminate use of "Super Check Partial" files that are often used as examples of "assistance".

Single operator categories can co-exist very well with the increasingly automated and technical Assisted/Unlimited categories and multi-operator categories. Those operators (like me) that prefer these should have a chance to compete.

I will also go out on a limb and predict that a robot/AI program will win an assisted or multi-operator category in a major CW or digital contest within the next decade.  I would prefer to have a Single Operator category at that point where I can play the game without competing with robots/AI programs and a game played increasingly on the internet.

I also believe that we should retain Unlimited/Assisted categories and add them to contests like NAQP which currently do not have Unlimited/Assisted categories.

Mark, KD4D