[CQ-Contest] Router Recommendation?

Jim Brown k9yc at audiosystemsgroup.com
Thu Aug 23 13:44:08 EDT 2018

Hi Scott,

What kind of internet connection? DSL modems are notoriously poor at
rejecting RF, and 160M is within the range of their data signal. Part of
the problem is telco wiring around your home -- replacing it with high
quality twisted pair data cable like CAT5/6 can help. But when their
modem is the problem, the best solution is to call your provider and
tell them to fix it. W8JI did that years ago.

Have you considered WiFi for networking? That significantly reduces RF
related issues, including internet birdies on the ham bands. I started
replacing wired Ethernet with WiFi when I lived in Chicago, and am doing
the same here in NorCal.

As to ferrites -- it takes a LOT of turns through one or more #31 cores
to make an effective choke for 160M. If you haven't already done so,
study k9yc.com/RFI-Ham.pdf

73, Jim K9YC