[CQ-Contest] WSJT-X and contesting

Jim Brown k9yc at audiosystemsgroup.com
Tue Dec 4 16:15:08 EST 2018

On 12/4/2018 12:32 PM, Jeff Stai wrote:
> Even W0YK has suggested that we need an FT mode with more like a 5
> second time period to be viable as a contest mode.

One of the problems that the most successful contesters seem to have
forgotten (or perhaps haven't even thought of) is that many of the
stations we work would be THRILLED with rates of 30/hour. Everyone has
to start somewhere, and FT8 can potentially bring new blood into an
activity dominated by folks who have been on Medicare for a while. Face
it guys -- our ranks are thinning. As we get older, it gets harder for
us to maintain our stations, and eventually, most of us must downsize to
places where antennas are limited, if permitted at all. Our bodies
gradually wear out, and eventually the grim reaper shows up.

73, Jim K9YC