[CQ-Contest] New SO2R trick?

Tom Frenaye frenaye at pcnet.com
Fri Dec 7 13:05:59 EST 2018

Hi Art -

I think rather than this being an SO2R "trick" or some other evil, it is most likely by someone
who realizes that the first thing that happens after "fresh meat" shows up in band maps, a whole bunch
of people will call in, all on the same frequency and within 50 hz of each other, making it difficult for the
receiving station (you in this case) to pick out a callsign.

One way for the smart operator to deal with this is to move of or down 50-100 hz and call slightly off
frequency.  Another is to call a second time since 80% or more people call just once.

The first method tends to let the receiving station have a better rate if a few stations are calling off frequency.
The second method prolongs the pileup but can be just as effective for the calling station.
I have used both.

No need to blame SO2R, 2BSIQ, FT8 or any other perceived alien lifestyles.

     -- Tom