[CQ-Contest] My FT8 totals: Not what I thought it would be.

Peter Lunn bels at erols.com
Fri Dec 21 16:01:54 EST 2018

No robot here.  A little over 4,000 x FT8 contacts in 13 months. 130+
FT8 countries confirmed, many on LoTW but some direct. Mostly with 20-30
watts, occasionally more as needed for DX on high bands.  Contacts on
all bands 160-6 except for 60 meters. 160 meter mono-band vertical with
76 x 130 foot radials, 8040 vertical with 64 x 65 foot radials.
10-element LPDA at 73 feet for 30-10 meters.  And 5-element 6 meter yagi.

Time spent --- what an abnormal irresponsible divorced guy with
non-resident adult children might do if he had nothing better to do.
Except that I still spend much more time on CW than FT8.  And I spend
more time working in the woods ( and on new antennas ) than I do
operating.  Overall 16,000-24,000 contacts a year.

Note in the same 13 months my CW totals are MUCH larger than my FT8
totals and my SSB totals are much less than my FT8 totals.

I have no interest in digital DXCC but use FT8 for filling in US
counties and filling in states/provinces/districts of other countries.
In my limited experience, there is little overlap between who I work on
CW and who I work on FT8.  There are tons of South American stations and
European stations that I see on FT8 that I never see on CW and vice versa.

73, peter, N4UP