[CQ-Contest] SO2R audio recording

MARK BAILEY kd4d at comcast.net
Tue Jan 16 09:24:52 EST 2018

Hi Mike:

I own two of these Behringer boxes ( :-) )- I use them for Field Days when people want to listen while I'm operating and sometimes at multi-ops for training.  I also use them for recording contest audio with the K3s when I'm SO2R.

Everybody can set the audio level to match their preference and headsets (headsets vary a lot).  Recording levels can be independently set as well.  Mine are the silver ones not black though!  :-)

I intend to use them to distribute referee audio and recording (probably redundant small USB recorders) at WRTC.  I have it working with my K3 using the "Line Out" jack on the back of the K3.  This allows me to set the recording levels and referee headset levels independently and the amp doesn't load down the audio line.

The only reason not to use the headset jack (split) on the FTdx-5000 is that the audio levels then track the receive volume settings on the FTdx-5000.  I would prefer something with a fixed audio level but may have to use the headphone jack.

This Behringer amp doesn't have enough gain to bring up the "Rec Jack" output on the FTdx-5000 to what the recorders need though - not even close.  I don't have the FTdx-5000 handy - the manual sort of implies that the "AF Out" jack (that also is independent of the headphone volume) does not include the "Monitor" signal since it explicitly says the "Rec Jack" does include the monitor signal.  The WRTC 2018 rules require that the transmitted audio (monitor) to be included in the recordings.

I have had many issues over the years with audio levels, hum, RF, hash, soundcard levels, windows changing soundcard settings, etc..  I want the setup to be bulletproof and very easy and quick to install.  I also want the fewest boxes and power supplies possible.

73,

Mark, KD4D