[CQ-Contest] WRTC Qualifying

Jim jimk8mr at aol.com
Fri Jul 6 17:45:48 EDT 2018

I have a somewhat different perspective, being an Ohio snowbird who spends half the year in Florida. As a practical matter I could not qualify without a lot of travel or remote operating from W8. And I’m not that stupid to head north from Florida in February  :-)

I had my shot at WRTC in 2014 (as N1U with partner K9NW), but I didn’t compete to qualify for 2018, and don’t see me trying to qualify for future WRTCs, so don’t take these comments as being self serving.

If a W6 resident wants to operate from W1, let him do so, comparing his scores with other W1 entrants. And conversely, if a guy living in W1 is crazy enough to want to operate CQWW from W6, thinking the qualifying competition there might be less, why stop him? Again, compare his W6 score with other W6 scores, and let the WRTC qualifying points go into his home W1 account.

So long as a person is a legitimate resident of his qualifying area, why stop him from operating from anywhere in the world, whether in person or remotely? I don’t have a problem to allow someone like LZ4AX to qualify from W3, but I would not let people become “Africans” solely by virtue of a bunch of operating from zone 33.

73   -   Jim    K8MR

p.s.  Keep in mind the motto of the Florida Contest Group:  Sooner or later, you’ll be one of us!