[CQ-Contest] WRTC Qualifying

Bob Shohet, KQ2M kq2m at kq2m.com
Sun Jul 8 09:39:11 EDT 2018

Having operated all over the W1 for the past 35 years, I can state based on extensive contest operating experience that there are large geographic disadvantages WITHIN New England.  There is no comparison between extreme Western CT at my QTH (or extreme Western MA) and Eastern MA, or Eastern NH.  That additional 120 – 150 miles over land to the Atlantic vs. 0 – 20 miles over land to the Atlantic is HUGE, especially during the lean years of the sunspot cycle, or during active geomagnetic cndx at ANY point in the sunspot cycle.  And since that difference is on the water path to EU, it is ESPECIALLY noticeable!

Most experienced contest ops know that even 50 miles or less further North or South often matters in a DX contest depending on cndx and on a particular path.  Why does that matter?  Because we compete relative to each other within the same call area and geographic region.  So you in Alabama are not competing with me in CT but I am competing against stations in Eastern MA and Eastern ME, which being 400 miles closer to EU, makes a huge difference.  So there is the relative mileage difference to EU and then there is the proximity to the water path to EU.  If your first signal bounce is on land vs. the first signal bounce on water you are already behind!

Distance is relative though – if you have a big enough station with enough very high large yagis at low wave angles, you can make up for some of the geographic disadvantages – but only to a point.

Is being in the Northeast vs. Alabama more fun in a DX contest?  Yes, of course – we can work more EU much more easily with more modest antennas.  And 8 or 9 times out of 10 we should have a bigger score too.  The same way that being in Alabama should provide a BIG advantage vs. New England to working Japan, Southeast Asia, UA9/0 and the Pacific even though there are not as many stations to work.

I’m sure that 100 miles North or South makes a big difference on some DX paths in Alabama too but that it is less noticeable until that 100 miles gives you a nice water path somewhere and then you will REALLY notice the difference.

And YOU can have that “disadvantage” too – it is called guest operating – something that I spent 25 years doing – and required countless weeks and months of preparation, vacation days, work days, weekends and other opportunities given up for the purpose of operating in contests from other qth’s.  Not to mention enormous travel time, effort and money to pursue contests from better locations.  All it requires is the commitment to be willing to do it and to make the sacrifices necessary.  Are you willing to do it?  Wishing doesn’t make it happen!

73

Bob  KQ2M