[CQ-Contest] WRTC 2022 qualifications criterias? Any new thoughts or ideas?

Igor Sokolov ua9cdc at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 10:03:29 EDT 2018

Kari,

The situation with decreasing number of active contesters is pretty
universal. Anyway organizing local event similar to WRTC is not that
difficult. We have started doing it in 1999. Then few years later hams
in UA9U area (Kemerovo) joined, taking the same rules that we have
developed and now people in UA4S are doing it basically with the same
contest rules and at the same time.

Initially we only provided a venue - long field stretching South-North
so that when beaming West (our main direction to EU) all the antennas of
the participants were side by side. The distance between centers of
adjacent positions was 200 meters. This is enough separation when
everybody runs 100W and yet mimics QRM situation of a big contest. Each
participant brings a friend who acts as a referee for another
participant. This ensures lack of cheating. Initially there were limits
set for number of antennas, boom length and antenna height. Later we
home made simple Spiderbeams and 10 m masts so that we are now able to
supply each participant with the same antenna (Spider for 20-15-10 and
IV for 40m). All of the above creates as equal conditions for all the
participants as possible and we are able to find just best operators.
Number of participants is usually between 10 and 20. I think the biggest
number we had was 23. We accept everybody who wants to come and participate.

Besides being really tough and interesting competition, this is also
social event which is attended by friends and family members. It is also
a good training course for those, who becomes interested in contesting
and wants to learn from experienced operators.

Again, if you decide to give it a try, I will help you with rules and
all our organizational experience.

73, Igor UA9CDC