[CQ-Contest] WRTC Qualifying

Matt NQ6N matt at nq6n.com
Mon Jul 9 19:12:17 EDT 2018

It's always interesting to discuss fairness in contesting.  I have a few
observations:

- In a perfect contest, participants would be indifferent to where in the
world they operated from.  So far we haven't found a scoring mechanism that
manages to accomplish this. Some geographical areas are a better place to
go if you want to win.

- In spite of the obvious differences in what is possible from different
parts of the US, we still celebrate the top score from the US as if it is
an accomplishment for a W1 to beat a W6 in a contest where most of the
points come from QSOs with Europe.

- There are great operators all over the world. I suspect that if east
coast US ops thought they could win from W8, W9, W7 or W6 they would ask to
guest op there just for bragging rights.  One in a while there is
propagation that allows for some great openings and unexpected outcomes,
but those are exceptions, and typically the large volume of QSOs from EU
dominates the final scores.

- In spite of all this, contesting is still fun.  As someone else pointed
out, all the new remote sites in W1 and W2 will make those districts
significantly more competitive, and so earning a WRTC spot will certainly
become significantly more difficult from there due to increased
competition.

- WRTC results show that there is not significant difference in operator
skill across regions of the world. That's a good thing as it indicates that
the local competition is usually high quality, but it also reveals that the
glory that is heaped upon US "winners" of DX contests who enjoy a
significant geographical advantage is misplaced, and that more focus should
be allocated to the exciting and much more competitive regional horse races
and rivalries.

- Put another way, it should be fun for a W1 or W2 op to visit the midwest,
take the helm of one of the top stations in the region, and win W9.  If the
standings and write-ups recognized operator skill (defined as the challenge
of maximizing the prop and the station against others with similar
prop/station), the only reason to go to the Caribbean would be the tropical
weather, not the propagation. I realize this point overlooks the pleasure
of being in a high rate flow state for many hours.

- WRTC shows us that top operators will travel and take time out of their
schedules to participate in a fair competition using minimal stations.
Let's do more things like this.  I think station building and operator
skill are hard to separate, because it takes a skilled op to maximize a
station of any caliber, and adding more aluminum is only as effective as
the operator is at knowing how to use it.   But one way to highlight
station building prowess is to show how well they fare against a WRTC style
setup on their own turf.

I'm looking forward to one day having the time to set up a competitive
station. Until then I enjoy guest operations, occasional travel to the
Carribbean, and watching WRTC as a spectator.  I can't wait to see who wins
this year, and I think it's safe to say that nobody reading this would have
much chance of beating whichever team wins in fair competition.  The
qualifying criteria are what they are, but the ops who are competing are
all top notch.

73 and best of luck to all,

Matt NQ6N