[CQ-Contest] NCJ Article RE: Sweepstakes Change Suggestions

W0MU Mike Fatchett w0mu at w0mu.com
Thu Mar 15 11:20:12 EDT 2018

We need to change it to make sure that the East Coast can dominate in
this contest too?   Can we get a status report on the changes to all the
DX contest rules to make it more fun for everyone not on the east
coast?  Oh right, that is not even under consideration.

First, is there something wrong with contest?  It seems like
participation is still good.   Sunday's have been Sunday's for 30 years
or more.  Why is it an issue now?

While changing all these VE sections around might be the right thing to
do, it will have next to no impact on participation.

I would argue for more mults making the sweep even more difficult than
in the past, thus requiring much more thought put into strategy.
Everyone wants to be wanted.  We call can't live in MT, NM, ETC.   Once
again what impact will this have on attracting new blood?  Zero.

All of the suggestions are simply tweaks to make it more interesting for
the same folks that are already playing.

Isn't this just a case where we need to use overlays and encourage more
participation from our clubs and club members to get on for two 12 hour
sprints?  Best scores in each period, best score for both sessions etc?
How many people in the contest are actually competing for the number one
slot and have a chance to win?  10, 20 , 50?  How do we acknowledge the
other 3000 participants?

The exchange is fine.  We have enough contests where there is nothing to
the exchange.  It tests nothing but your ability to run.

I don't care much about records.  It was in the past, it was a different
time and conditions are different each time, the track changes every
year so the records  don't necessarily say much.

I would could also argue for more harsh penalties for copying errors.
Make it a real test, yet keeping it fun.

W0MU