[CQ-Contest] Here's an idea...

Bob Shohet, KQ2M kq2m at kq2m.com
Sun Mar 18 08:47:29 EDT 2018

A lot time ago in the CW Sprint, I used EEMIO (sent at 40+ wpm of course  :-) and Scandalla amongst other names.  EEMIO was pretty funny – almost impossible to copy correctly at that speed – it was a true test of operator skill and honesty.  Skill to get it right the first time and honesty to ask again for it when they weren’t sure that they got it right.  As you would expect, the best ops got it right on the first or second try, most of the rest either needing MANY repeats (clearly expecting Bob) or just faking it and sending “r’” or “tu”.  I used other unusual names as well to “test” the ops.  I was more interested in having fun with that than achieving a good score.

Once in the mid-80’s, on the way back home after a YCCC meeting in Mass., I operated for an hour at Hal, W1NN’s station in CT, and worked K8CC on two bands with two different names.  When I got back to eastern Long Island in NY (where I was living at the time), I then worked K8CC again on a 3rd band using a different name from another state.  So I worked Dave a total of three times - from two different states on three bands and with three different names (one name per band).

Dave being the FB op that he is, correctly copied each name change and state change.  I’m pretty sure that Dave still remembers that contest.   :-)

73

Bob KQ2M