[CQ-Contest] Here's an idea...

Gerry Hull gerry at yccc.org
Wed Mar 21 09:51:22 EDT 2018

Guys,

In the end, it's about having fun, is it not?  This is a hobby.

What skills are we testing in a competition?

CW copying ability is simply one aspect.  In contests like CQWW CW, I would
argue that CW copying ability, among the serious competitors, is not one
of the major factors because all signals are 599 and the Zone is entered
automatically by the logging software.    If you are a serious competitor,
you've been copying
CW for a long time.   Call signs are not an issue.

In a contest like NAQP, or any contest where there is a "friend" file, you
are trying to get a best rate and multipliers.   Getting an odd name from
somebody surprises you,
and may mess up your fun.  So -- everyone tends to use their common name.
 Using an uncommon name may satisfy your need to "test" other operators,
but it won't help your score.  If you are having fun, so be it.   If you
have an uncommon name and are itching to win, you have to bear that
burden.  Be ACTIVE.    We often honor people when they become an SK by
sending their name.   This may or may not impact the score.  However, it is
a social part of our contesting community.   Sometimes the score is not the
most important factor.

If we had a contest (and I believe there are already some) where we
exchanged 5 letter groups of random characters, the CW copying ability
would REALLY be tested.
Would such a contest be popular?

I agree that the KCDX CW copying event is a rush!  Lots of fun, pure CW
copying ability.  Looking forward to it this year.

73,

Gerry W1VE, VE1RM, VY1AAA