[CQ-Contest] KH7X in AZ

Mike Smith VE9AA ve9aa at nbnet.nb.ca
Wed Nov 7 05:57:21 EST 2018

de VE9AA.per below, Steve pretty much hit the nail on the head.

KH7X did nothing wrong, legally or against the rules..HOWEVER, it

is slightly misleading as you're tuning by as I was..or if I had been
assisted and was clicking on the spot, excitedly thinking I'd found Hawaii,
until I heard the exchange.

I can say w/o reservation, if I was K5ZD or K7SV I would have no problem
being in 1 or 4 land using those calls,(and we as outsiders don't have a
problem with it now after 30-40yrs) however if my call was AH2XXX would I
feel right using that in Missouri?  No, it's misleading.

In Canada a VE9 is in NB, a VE3 is in Ontario, etc. and our prefixes are
locked to our Provinces and Territories, however if they weren't it would be
no different than me grabbing VY0ABC or CY0XYZ and using it here in NB.

I just don't know why folks do it..do they feel it's funny to constantly
mislead?

Here's your answer: It's not funny and I believe most would agree with that
(and more..)

-Mike VE9AA

I know this isn't a rule, but ..I do think folks who have KH/KL/KP calls

should sign /W7 or whatever when they operate from the lower 48.  Just seems

like a courtesy, and it's what I do when I'm in the situation.  It's also

why I'm going to get a club call to use down there (and a Canadian license,

because .. KL7SB/VY2 is ..miserable!

73

Steve KL7SB

Mike, Coreen & Corey