[CQ-Contest] Best 100 watt SSB contesting radios

Trent Sampson vk4ts at outlook.com
Tue Nov 20 06:27:32 EST 2018

Hi John,

It is a tough call but Kenwoods have good bang for buck - The TS590s has been a great performer and simple - another series worth considering is the Yaesu FT920 FT950 FT1200 even the older FT1000MP - they are simple rigs to use - have great audio and those together in the 47th hour of a 48-hour event make them worth considering.

But in reality, running a 100w rig flat out for 48 hours is not good for the rig, I speak from experience 😊

Find a 200watter and run it throttled back or buy an amplifier - I prefer the second option so the 100W rig is only sitting on 20~40 watts

Have fun and hope to hear you on the bands

73

Trent
VK4TS one of the VK4KW team