[CQ-Contest] Sending 'test'

Chris Tran GM3WOJ gm3woj at christran.net
Tue Nov 27 13:48:13 EST 2018

Hello all

Thanks to everyone who worked GM2V in CQ WW CW – the world’s #1 CW contest!

I was puzzled as to why many stations waste time by still sending ‘CQ <callsign> Test’ i.e. the stock macro from most of the contest software writers.

It’s a major contest weekend, many stations are using contest callsigns, the CW portions of the contest bands are full of signals, so ‘Test’ seems completely redundant to me. No-one would try to have a rag-chew on CW during CQ WW CW, or am I wrong?

73   Chris
GM3WOJ / GM2V