[CQ-Contest] WSJT-X For contests - Dry Run

Paul O'Kane pokane at ei5di.com
Tue Oct 23 16:50:06 EDT 2018

As we move ever closer to fully-automated data modes, the divide between
data and
non-data modes gets bigger.  When and if the operator becomes
incidental, what will
be the point of such contest QSOs - other than bragging that my software
is smarter
than yours?

WSJT-X may be the "flavour of the month" now - but, next month, or
certainly next
year, something "better" will turn up - as the potential for "new and
improved" data
modes is limitless.  Some see this as progress in amateur radio and
contesting - I see
it as progress in automated two-way data processing over RF.

It seems to me that any mode that is not and can not be decoded by
individual
contesters (people) in real-time does not truly represent amateur
radio.  But what
would  I know, being just an old-fashioned (outdated?) contester who
keeps to
phone and CW :-)

Some will argue that we have to keep up, we can't stop progress, and
that amateur
radio and contesting are evolving.  I say that data modes are evolving
into something
else entirely.

73,
Paul EI5DI