[CQ-Contest] WSJT-X For contests - Dry Run

Jeff Clarke ku8e at ku8e.com
Thu Oct 25 11:17:54 EDT 2018

David, AB7E, you are totally wrong about digital modes effecting CW.
This is a big problem on 40 meters during any domestic CW contest. 7040
and 5 khz on either side is unusable during any CW contest because of
FT8 activity. During the NAQP CW and NA Sprint there is usually a RTTY
contest going on that effects below 7040.

 From AA5AU's web page :

40 meters – 7025 to 7050 kHz and 7080 to 7100 kHz, during contests
7025-7100 kHz (JA 7030-7100 kHz). (USA stations are also allowed RTTY
between 7100-7125 kHz).

I'm for everyone doing there thing but I've never found digital modes
that challenging from a operating standpoint because no operator skill
is required to copy signals. Your computer does all the work. I've tried
both and became quickly bored with it.

Jeff KU8E

On 10/25/2018 09:12 AM, Yuri Blanarovich wrote:
> Who is bigot?
> Nobody is arguing or opposing of technology developments and progress
> in ham radio.
> What the problem is trying to accept the "jet engine powered bicycle
> competing with human powered bicycles in Tour de France".
> Preserve "classic" categories (Phone, CW, RTTY digital - talking,
> Morse code, digital)
> Consider keeping real licensed stations with operators present.
> Rest, have "Wild" category where anything goes.
>
> Having transgenders beating women is not progress or competition.
> Bigot is crap being forced on those trying to maintain sanity in
> competition.
>
> Yuri, K3BU
>

>  On Thu, Oct 25, 2018 at 04:09 AM, David Gilbert wrote:
>
>  >
>> What do you care what the data modes are evolving into if you don't
>> use them (even RTTY) and they don't affect the CW and SSB contests
>> that you do use?
>>
>> I don't get it.  Amateur radio is thankfully a lot broader than your
>> definition of it, and for the most part manages to keep the various
>> modes segregated enough to satisfy everyone.   It makes zero sense to
>> bitch about what other people do if they aren't negatively affecting
>> you.  That doesn't make you old, or outdated ... it makes you a bigot.
>>
>> "Bigot: A /bigot/ is a prejudiced person who is intolerant of any
>> opinions differing from their own."
>>
>> Dave   AB7E
>>

>> On 10/23/2018 1:50 PM, Paul O'Kane wrote:
>>> As we move ever closer to fully-automated data modes, the divide
>>> between data and
>>> non-data modes gets bigger.  When and if the operator becomes
>>> incidental, what will
>>> be the point of such contest QSOs - other than bragging that my
>>> software is smarter
>>> than yours?
>>>
>>> WSJT-X may be the "flavour of the month" now - but, next month, or
>>> certainly next
>>> year, something "better" will turn up - as the potential for "new
>>> and improved" data
>>> modes is limitless.  Some see this as progress in amateur radio and
>>> contesting - I see
>>> it as progress in automated two-way data processing over RF.
>>>
>>> It seems to me that any mode that is not and can not be decoded by
>>> individual
>>> contesters (people) in real-time does not truly represent amateur