[CQ-Contest] Emails During a Contest

Edward Sawyer EdwardS at sbelectronics.com
Tue Apr 2 07:56:54 EDT 2019

Hi Jeff.  That sure is cheating and you should forward that email to the Contest Director.  I also see in my review of spots that 3 people tried to confirm the exchange by spotting me.  As unassisted, that’s obviously not accomplishing anything, but if assisted, maybe so.  Although I am thinking very few assisted are actually seeing comments on DX Summit but rather just populating the band map.  Not sure.  Don't do assisted.

As to the 40M mess.  Sometimes I think that people are broadcasting for a while looking for holes in the QRM.  They have a frequency that no one is yelling at them to move.  Can't hear because of all the QRM.  But where are they going to go?  SO they sit there broadcasting waiting for local EU to call, a few super loud W/VE stations and for the ebb and flow of the QRM for other stations to get through.  This is their evening on 40M.

I have been shocked how many times a very loud EU on 40M has CQed in my face when calling them with a set up and location that gets the "booming" response from many in EU.  I don't think its that they are running 10kW.  I think its being tolerant of hearing almost nothing and proceeding to CQ.

Just my opinion.

Ed  N1UR/AC1U

3 el mono with favorable EU terrain running 1.5kW some of the time