[CQ-Contest] 40M FT4 Frequency

Jim Brown k9yc at audiosystemsgroup.com
Mon Aug 5 03:57:41 EDT 2019

7047 has been chosen, and many fans of WSJT modes have observed that
it's likely to start a war. That range is widely used by W1AW, state QSO
parties, QRP and QRS operation, county hunters, most CW contests, and
many others. Sure, the WSJT team think it's only for contests, but if
you build it, they will come, and they are coming. I had QRM from FT4
operators during NAQP CW.

I am a huge fan of the work of K1JT and his team (I use FT8 extensively
on 160M and 6M), but they ain't perfect, and this is a massive screw-up.
The default 40M FT4 frequency ought to be somewhere north of 7070 kHz.
OTOH, I have no issue with the DXpedition mode frequency around 7058. I
urge all contest clubs to contact both the WSJT team and their ARRL
representatives about this.

73, Jim K9YC