[CQ-Contest] WW-Digi Contest -- Rule Clarification

Dale Putnam daleputnam at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 7 12:50:02 EDT 2019

Hmmm
Joe is right, when you are trying to listen in on the whole FT8 band.. the noise to signal ratio goes NUTZ.
So, if you are REALLY trying to make a contact... and understanding that we NEVER transmit on top of someone intentionally, WHO wouldn't move to the calling stations's freq? That's where HE can hear a clear channel to him! That would put YOUR signal in a good spot to be heard. Pileups and dxpeditions excluded.
WHY do we insist on cutting our options to pitifully less than we built the station for to begin with?
Narrow bandpass, only a few signals get in, only a few get decoded, and a quick sure fire Q is in the log.
done deal.   open the bandpass to listen for CQs, then close it back up again to make the contact.
oh wait.. operator must be present.. BANG! there goes that issue....   oh wait... operator is part of the contact... BANG! there goes that problem..   Oh wait, while you are at the radio.. focus on propagation and the length of time it takes to make a contact... I average less than a minute per contact... BANG! there goes the "watching paint dry, grass grow" issue.
now.. can we go back to getting on the air?

Have a great day,

Dale - WC7S in Wy

"Actions speak louder than words"

________________________________

But it isn't really. The noise floor is raised greatly when the multiple
signals are ran. When it is a single station like a DXepedition, all is
fine it is not interfering with anyone.

But when you are trying to listen to many other signals the possible
weak signals are reduced greatly because of the tremendous noise floor
raising due to the IMD caused by the multiple streams.

Joe WB9SBD
Sig
The Original Rolling Ball Clock
Idle Tyme